in the UK, at least based on our experience renting out our place, if you want to lease a house, you book an appt to view the property (this is PRIVATE viewing, mind you) and if you like it, you pay a holding deposit to at least secure the house unless the owners decide otherwise (based on initial background info as presented by tenant/s). the next step is for the estate agent to run a full background check, and referencing. if all is good, then you get the property. if there’s something amiss in the checks, it’s in the discretion of the owners whether to take you on or not.
coming to perth, we had to book a holiday home because the estate agents would not entertain us until we see the property. we booked the house only for a month thinking it would be long enough to look for a house and secure it. then came the shock of our lives! prior to the trip, we have shortlisted some houses that we thought would suit our family best. we set an appt with the estate agent and come viewing day, we were so shocked to see a lot of people viewing the houses! we learned that most viewings are open viewings. it was intimidating and scary because you see all your competition and your hope of securing the house really gets deflated!
we were initially looking at renting somewhere close to the boys’ school. but finding a big enough space within the budget was very challenging. then after being rejected one after another, we decided to broaden our search area.
yes, our application was rejected 3 times! the first one did not give any explanation. i was fine with that because i didnt like the house in the first place. it was the hubby’s first choice because of the space but i found it too dated. the 2nd one i really liked. but we got denied because of lack of rental history. obviously, we’re new to the country and having owned our house in England (since 2005), there wouldnt be a rental history, would there? the third one was really laughable. instead of feeling regret, i was dumbfounded! because we were having difficulty securing a house, we really went all out to get the property: we offered 6 months ADVANCE rent apart from the bond/deposit, hubby’s company gave an indemnity letter, we gave them a copy of our house’s land register in england. those, on top of very solid referees. and their reason for declining, they werent sure if we can pay the rent! seriously???? what annoys me with all these applications, none of our referees was contacted!
we then found a house with a very kind estate agent. he was really enthusiastic and helpful. even the owners seem keen. but doing research and having asked around, the area isnt nice at all. so we kept looking but didnt really say no to the property just in case. then we found another house in a really good suburb. unfortunately, the owners became greedy. after seeing that we’re happy to pay 6 months advance rent, they decided to increase advertised rent. they also probably thought we would readily agree since we were in a hurry to move in (our holiday house booking was coming to an end). out of principle, we said no. we would have happily paid the (new) rental price that they were asking if only it was their advertised price! why increase rent all of a sudden!? we were desperate but their attitude was a turn off. then they said, ok, you can have the house at the original price. and by the way, we are selling the house to investors. the house will be leased to you for a year but you have to open the house for viewings. HELL NO!! sorry, that’s too much of a hassle and that says a lot about the type of people you really are! there’s no way we will deal with you!
we were on our way to view a house when hubby asked me if i fancy this particular property. it has so much space but the pictures were crappy. but because we were in the area, we decided to sneak a peek. and boy, were we surprised! dont judge a book by its cover!! it was soooo much better in person! the area is nice as it’s just 5-8 minutes to the beach. this is also one of the original areas that we were looking at. still a bit far from the kids’ school (30min drive) but the route is quite scenic so it’s all worth it! we were encouraged as well because there were only 2 families that viewed it. and that other family can only move in at the end of march! that’s 1 month income less! we submitted the application/requirements that night and come lunch time the next day, we received a call from the agent telling us we got the house. YEY!! but wait!!! the advertised availability was the 23rd of feb but the owner decided to have the floors done. so instead, moving in will be delayed by a week (27th)! they were apologetic but that’s the only hurdle in securing the house. we told the agent, we’ve waited for so long already, a few more days wouldnt matter. that being said, we only booked our 2nd holiday home for a week. extending the move-in date meant we had to look for a 3rd holiday home. yes, we have moved 3 times already in 40 days!
im glad the boys are troopers! we all cant wait to finally settle in our “final” home. i miss having a routine (without house viewings!) and the boys need somewhere to burn their energy! we havent signed the tenancy agreement yet but we have paid the bond and advance rent (just 2 weeks!). the agent assured us that we got the house. we FINALLY have a HOUSE!